Truck accidents tend to cause not only extreme damage to your vehicle and property, but also they often cause catastrophic injuries or even fatalities. These injuries usually prevent survivors from working, which increases the financial burdens.
While there’s no set answer to how much a truck accident case is worth, successful claims and cases typically see higher awards than other types of vehicle claims because of the catastrophic nature of the damage.
What affects my award amount?
The amount of money you might be awarded in a truck accident lawsuit settlement can vary widely and depends on several factors. While each case is unique, here are some key factors that can affect the compensation you may receive:
- Severity of injuries. The extent and severity of your injuries play a significant role in determining your settlement amount. More severe injuries that require extensive medical treatment and have long-lasting effects typically result in higher compensation. The total cost of your medical bills, including hospitalization, surgeries, rehabilitation, prescription medications, and ongoing treatment, are a significant factor in calculating your settlement.
- Lost wages. If you missed work due to your injuries, you can seek compensation for your lost income. This includes not only past lost wages but also future earning capacity if your injuries affect your ability to work.
- Pain and suffering. Non-economic damages like pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life are more challenging to quantify but are still an essential component of your settlement. The severity of your physical and emotional suffering is considered when determining your compensation.
- Liability. The determination of who is at fault for the accident can affect your settlement. If the truck driver, cargo loader, or trucking company is clearly at fault, you may have a stronger case for a higher settlement.
- Evidence. The strength of your evidence, such as accident reports, witness statements, photographs, and expert testimony, can significantly impact your case’s outcome and the potential settlement amount.
- Insurance coverage. The insurance policies of the trucking company and any other involved parties play a role in how much compensation is available for your claim. Higher policy limits can result in larger settlements.
- Legal representation. The negotiation skills and experience of your attorney can make a difference in the final settlement amount. Our experienced attorneys can advocate for your rights and negotiate effectively on your behalf. We are also seasoned trial attorneys who have represented folks in truck accident claims. In one illustrative wrongful death case against a tractor-trailer company and a freight broker, we secured $1.1 million for our clients.
Is there anything I can do to maximize my award amount?
In a truck accident lawsuit where you’ve been injured, there are several factors that can impact the amount of money you might be awarded in your settlement. To maximize your potential award, consider taking these three steps:
- First, seek immediate medical attention, even for seemingly minor injuries, as prompt documentation of your injuries can strengthen your case.
- Second, seek out the assistance of an experienced Richmond truck accident attorney who practices in personal injury cases.
- Third, hold onto all documentation of any costs associated with the accident. That includes medical bills, tax forms, receipts for purchases and repairs, and bills for any services you and your family now require.
Your attorney will guide you in collecting vital evidence related to the accident. This includes procuring photographs of the accident scene, documenting vehicle damage, and recording any contributing road conditions. They’ll also help gather witness statements and contact information, which can be crucial in building a strong case. Additionally, your attorney will obtain and review police reports to ensure accuracy and completeness.
Your attorney will also ensure that all necessary documents and paperwork are collected and submitted correctly and in a timely manner. This includes medical reports concerning your injuries, legal filings, court documents, and correspondence with insurance companies. They’ll meticulously organize and maintain these records, ensuring nothing vital is overlooked or misplaced. By having an attorney manage this aspect of your case, you can have peace of mind knowing that all necessary documentation is handled professionally, which can significantly bolster your claim’s strength and streamline the legal process.
It is important that you don’t forget to consider future damages, such as ongoing medical expenses and potential loss of earning capacity if your injuries have long-term effects. Effective negotiation skills are crucial, and your attorney will play a key role in achieving a fair settlement. Preparing as if your case will go to trial can also strengthen your position during negotiations. It also ensures that you are ready for a trial at every stage of the process, should one be necessary. Each case is unique, and while there are no guarantees in legal proceedings, working closely with your attorney can significantly increase your chances of obtaining a fair and maximized award amount. Overall, your attorney’s knowledge and attention to detail in gathering and managing evidence and paperwork are instrumental in pursuing a successful truck accident case.
If you have been in a truck accident, and you are looking to receive the most that you can in compensation, then you need the help of the legal team at Phelan Petty Injury Lawyers. Our attorneys are experienced and knowledgeable in truck accident cases, and we will handle your case with care and dedication. We know how to work to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve. To schedule a free consultation today with our Richmond-based truck accident attorneys, call us or fill out our contact form. We proudly serve clients across Virginia.
Michael Phelan is a Virginia trial attorney who practices with a special focus on traumatic brain injury (TBI) cases, pharmaceutical and medical device claims, product liability cases, and truck accidents. Michael’s peers have consistently recognized him for his excellence as a trial lawyer, and his clients have praised him for his commitment to deep research, his outstanding communication skills, and his sincerity and dedication.