Phelan Petty | Fighting for Accident Victims in Richmond and Throughout Virginia
Motor vehicle accidents and injuries can take a considerable physical, emotional, and financial toll on both you and your loved ones. You may feel anxious about the legal process, intimidated by insurance companies and their lawyers, or worried about going to trial and being put on the spot. But you should not have to worry about any of these things after a crash.
At Phelan Petty, we are proud of our reputation as one of Virginia’s preeminent personal injury firms. Our goal is to reduce crash victims’ stress and help them rebuild. When you work with our team, you can rest assured that we are diligently working on your case, giving you time and space to focus on your recovery and wellness.
Fill out our contact form or call us at (866) 249-3164 to learn more about your legal rights and options after a motor vehicle accident in Virginia.
Get Your Case Evaluation
Understanding the Different Motor Vehicle Accident Types
Every motor vehicle crash is different. At Phelan Petty, we carefully analyze the facts of our clients’ claims, identifying the exact legal issues and factors at play. Our team handles a wide variety of motor vehicle claims, from complex trucking cases to claims involving pedestrians and bicyclists.
Virginia Motor Vehicle Crash Facts
Virginia’s crash rate has been on the rise since 2014, increasing by nearly 9%. In 2018, more than 67,000 people suffered serious and life-threatening injuries on Virginia’s roads. The 2018 statistics are grim.
- Total crashes: 131,848
- Speed-related crashes: 25,892
- Distracted driving-related crashes: 24,350
- Alcohol-related crashes: 7,181 (an increase of 12.1%)
- Total Fatalities: 819
- Pedestrian injuries and fatalities: 1,707
In Richmond, VA alone, there were 6,231 crashes, 2,913 injuries, and 15 fatalities.
What to Do After a Motor Vehicle Accident
Regardless of the type of vehicle crash, you should take a few standards steps after a motor vehicle crash. These simple things can have a significant impact on your case and help you get the compensation you deserve.
However, if you need of emergency treatment, always prioritize your visit to the ER over the following steps. Collecting information for your personal injury case is important, but not as important as your health and wellbeing
At the Scene of the Crash
- If possible, move your vehicle out of the way of traffic.
- Assist anyone who is injured and call an ambulance if needed.
- Call 911 and file an official report.
- Obtain the other driver’s contact and insurance information.
- Ask any witnesses for their contact information.
- Take pictures of the crash scene and damage to both vehicles.
- Seek medical attention if you are experiencing even minor aches and pains.
After the Crash
- Notify loved ones and your work of the crash and your condition.
- Follow up with your doctors as needed.
- Speak with a Virginia motor vehicle accident attorney.
- Preserve important evidence, such as defective auto parts and a commercial vehicle’s logbooks, with help from your lawyer.
- File a claim with your insurance company.
- Keep copies of all of your crash-related bills and expenses.
Phelan Petty: A Sophisticated Approach to Motor Vehicle Crash Cases
At Phelan Petty, we use sophisticated investigation tactics to help build strong motor vehicle crash cases and get clients the compensation they deserve. We understand trucking regulations better than the freight companies, interpret medical records with the skill of a doctor, and partner with skilled experts when needed. If you or a loved one have been the victim of a car accident in Virginia, contact Phelan Petty today.
2018 Virginia Traffic Crash Facts. (2019). Department of Motor Vehicles – Virginia Highway Safety Office. Retrieved from https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/safety/crash_data/crash_facts/crash_facts_18.pdf
The content provided here is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject.