Richmond Motor Vehicle Accident Attorneys
Protecting the rights of car, truck and motorcycle accident victims in Virginia
Motor vehicle accidents and injuries can take a considerable physical, emotional, and financial toll on both you and your loved ones. At Phelan Petty, we are proud of our reputation as one of Virginia’s preeminent personal injury firms. Our goal is to reduce crash victims’ stress and help them rebuild. When you work with our team, you can rest assured that we are diligently working on your case, giving you time and space to focus on your recovery and wellness.
Car and truck crashes in Virginia
Virginia’s motor vehicle crash rate has been on the rise since 2014, increasing by nearly nine percent. In 2018, more than 67,000 people suffered serious and life-threatening injuries on Virginia’s roads. The rest of these statistics are equally grim.
Speed-related crashes: 25,892
Distracted driving-related crashes: 24,350
Alcohol-related crashes: 7,181 (an increase of 12.1%)
Total Fatalities: 819
Pedestrian injuries and fatalities: 1,707
In Richmond, VA alone, there were 6,231 crashes, 2,913 injuries, and 15 fatalities.
Every motor vehicle crash is different
At Phelan Petty, we carefully analyze the facts of our clients’ claims, identifying the exact legal issues and factors at play. Our team handles a wide variety of motor vehicle claims, from complex trucking cases to claims involving pedestrians and bicyclists. We can assist you with cases involving injuries from:
Common causes of motor vehicle accidents
If you have been involved in an accident, you probably know that the majority are preventable, and proving liability hinges on determining who or what caused the crash. Sometimes this is not as obvious as it appears, especially if there were no witnesses. In cases like these, our injury attorneys will launch an investigation to build and strengthen your case against the negligent party. We talk to police, obtain available surveillance video, review your medical records and meet with accident reconstruction experts.
The majority of car accidents in Richmond and throughout Virginia are caused by the following factors:
- Driving under the influence (DUI). Driving drunk or under the influence of drugs takes away a motorist’s ability to operate a vehicle safely, putting everyone on the road at risk.
- Driving while distracted. Distracted driving can be as dangerous as driving drunk – texting, eating, grooming or any activity that takes a driver’s attention off the road can cause an accident.
- Fatigued/drowsy driving. Falling asleep or dozing off at the wheel is extremely dangerous and can cause deadly accidents.
- Reckless driving. Authorities use the terms reckless or careless driving for motorists who operate their vehicles with a gross disregard for other people’s safety, like driving at excessive speeds or aggressive “road rage” behaviors.
- Design defects. Sometimes an accident is not caused by the driver’s actions, but because of a flaw in the manufacture of the vehicle, like faulty brakes or steering.
The team at Phelan Petty works to prove fault and secure you the compensation you need to recover from your injuries.
What should I do after a motor vehicle accident in Richmond?
Regardless of how or why your accident happened, you should take a few standards steps after a motor vehicle crash. These simple things can have a significant impact on your case and help you get the compensation you deserve.
However, if you need emergency treatment, always prioritize your visit to the ER or urgent care over the following steps. Collecting information for your personal injury case is important, but not as important as your health and well-being.
At the scene of the crash
- If possible to do safely, move your vehicle out of the way of traffic.
- Assist anyone who is injured and call an ambulance if needed.
- Call 911 and file an official report with police.
- Obtain the other driver’s contact and insurance information.
- Ask any witnesses for their contact information.
- Take pictures of the crash scene and damage to both vehicles.
- Seek medical attention if you are experiencing even minor aches and pains.
After the accident
- Notify friends/family and your employer about the accident and your condition.
- Follow up with your doctors as needed.
- Speak with a Virginia motor vehicle accident attorney.
- Preserve important evidence, such as defective auto parts and a commercial vehicle’s logbooks, with help from your lawyer.
- File a claim with your insurance company.
- Keep copies of all of your crash-related bills and expenses.
What type of compensation is available for a VA car accident case?
Many of our clients want to know what they might be able to recover after a motor vehicle accident. Typically we, and the court, start with your injuries and medical issues.
- What are the costs of your medical bills, physical therapy and medications so far? What will be the costs of further treatments in the future?
- Have you lost wages from being unable to work? Will your injuries or disability prevent you from working in the future or restricting you from your former job duties?
- Have you suffered permanent scarring or disability? Pain and suffering? How is your day-to-day life different than it was before the accident?
Our attorneys take all of this into account when negotiating and fighting for compensation and to hold the person responsible for your injuries accountable.
Richmond accident lawyers with a sophisticated approach to injury claims
At Phelan Petty, our accident attorneys use leading-edge investigation tactics to help build strong motor vehicle crash cases and secure clients the compensation they deserve. We understand trucking regulations better than the freight companies, interpret medical records with the skill of a doctor, and partner with skilled experts when needed. If you or a loved one have been the victim of a car accident in Virginia, get in touch with us today.