Richmond Multi-Vehicle Accident Attorney
Experienced representation when you’re injured in a vehicle pileup in Virginia
Multi-vehicle accidents are not only complicated and chaotic, but determining who was at fault can be a difficult undertaking. After this type of wreck, you are likely dealing with injuries and vehicle damage, and the thought of dealing with multiple insurance companies and claims can be overwhelming. This is when having a strong attorney in your corner can help, both financially and mentally.
At Phelan Petty, our Richmond-based car accident attorneys work to secure financial compensation when you or a loved one are injured by a negligent driver in Virginia. We protect your rights and launch a full investigation into the crash, assigning liability and working to ensure you are able to heal from your injuries with financial and emotional confidence. Contact us today to find out how we can help you.
What is a multi-vehicle accident?
A multi-vehicle crash, also called a multi-car wreck or pile-up, is an accident involving three or more vehicles. Especially on congested highways and roads, one wrong move from a single motorist can quickly and easily cause a multi-vehicle wreck.
The Insurance Information Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) reports that, in 2019, 61 percent of traffic fatalities occurred from multi-vehicle crashes – a total of 12,442 passenger vehicle occupants.
What are some examples of multi-vehicle crashes?
Accidents involving multiple vehicles can happen in any number of ways, but our attorneys tend to see some common threads with these types of wrecks. Some of these include:
- Highway accidents. Because the speed limit in Virginia can go up to 70mph on certain stretches of highway, crashes can happen quickly and at high speeds. Drivers have less time to react to traffic conditions, which can set the stage for multi-vehicle pileups.
- Intersection crashes. These types of crashes often involve several cars attempting to enter an intersection at the same time. Usually, at least one vehicle fails to follow a traffic signal or sign and is hit by an oncoming vehicle. Or, a car makes an attempt to turn and is hit by one or more vehicles.
- Rear-end collision. A rear-end crash happens when a vehicle slows down or stops and is struck by the vehicle behind it. Often this turns into a chain-reaction crash, where the force of the collision pushes the car into the vehicle in front of it, and so on.
Like most motor vehicle accidents, the majority of multi-car crashes are preventable and are caused by negligence or driver behavior.
What causes Richmond multi-car accidents?
Multi-vehicle pileups can happen for any number of reasons, but some common causes include:
- Bad road conditions like ice or rain
- Distracted drivers
- Drunk or drugged drivers
- Driver fatigue
- Heavy and congested traffic
- Low visibility, like fog or snow
Determining liability in a multi-car collision can be tricky, but the accident attorneys at Phelan Petty can help.
Who is at fault in my Richmond multi-vehicle crash?
Assigning liability in multi-car pileups can be complex. Our legal team launches a full investigation and analyzes a variety of factors to determine who was at fault for your accident and injuries. We will gather and evaluate as much evidence as possible, including:
- The crash site and location
- Any traffic tickets and citations issued
- Road and weather conditions at the time of the accident
- Witness accounts and statements
- Available dashcam, surveillance, or security video
- Photos of the accident scene
- Data from vehicle “black boxes”
In the most complicated accidents, we can tap into our network of professional resources to consult with an accident reconstruction expert to demonstrate how the accident occurred.
What are common injuries from multi-vehicle accidents?
Types of injuries experienced from car crashes can vary in severity, depending on many factors. However, common physical injuries resulting from pile-ups include:
- Airbag or seatbelt injuries
- Broken and fractured bones
- Burn injuries
- Cuts and lacerations
- Internal injuries
- Loss of limb
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Wrongful death
The amount of financial compensation to which you may be entitled typically depends on the extent of your injuries and losses.
What is the value of my Richmond multi-car crash case?
Complex cases require complex determination of compensation. When you or a loved one are injured by the actions of a negligent or reckless driver, you are eligible to take legal action. The attorneys at Phelan Petty take a variety of factors into consideration when determining the value of your claim. We know that every person’s injuries and every person’s circumstances are unique.
The value of your car accident case depends on factors like the:
- Ability to return to work and earn income
- Amount of insurance coverage involved in your claims
- Cost of your current and expected future medical treatment
- Extent of your injuries
- Likelihood of fully recovering from your injuries
- Scope of your pain, suffering, and other non-economic damages
It is important to contact an attorney as soon as possible after your accident, as the Virginia statute of limitations on personal injury actions is two years.
How does contributory negligence in Virginia work?
An issue that may come up in a multi-vehicle accident case is contributory negligence. Virginia is one of few states that recognizes the contributory negligence rule, which bars recovery for injuries if the plaintiff was even slightly (one percent) at fault.
In multi-vehicle pileups, where it can be difficult to assign fault, the contributory negligence rule will almost certainly come into play. This is why it is crucial to have an experienced and strategic attorney on your side and supporting your claim, helping to prove that you were not to blame for the accident that caused your injuries.
Multi-vehicle accident lawyer in Richmond
The attorneys at Phelan Petty help those injured in multi-car crashes throughout Virginia seek compensation for their losses. We understand the complexities and difficulties of these types of accidents, and work the insurance companies to help ensure you secure the compensation to which you are entitled. Talk to us today about your case and how we can help you.
To schedule a free consultation, please call us in Richmond at 804-298-7968 or fill out our contact form. Proudly serving Virginia.